I so look forward to getting the issue of InStyle magazine that lists the years "Best Beauty Buys" according to their panel of experts in every category of beauty. This one marked their 15th annual issue, so I was super pumped to flip through and see what I was missing (and therefore need to go straight out and buy;-)), but also, what did I already have that the pros favored!
Here's what JennySue already owns that I agree is the best of the best in it's category (and why), and what products I think fall short of being given the "best" title (and why):
Deserving of "BEST":
1. Smashbox Photo Finish Oil Free Primer ($36). Yes, this wins basically every year in the primer category. It helps fill in very fine lines and masks pores so that your foundation goes on smoother as well as making your foundation last longer.
2. L'Oreal True Match Super Blendable Foundation ($11). I have been singing this stuffs praises for over two years. This is my go to foundation in my tool box and carry it in all the levels of colors (neutral, warms, cools). It's oil free (but I use it on oily, dry, and normal gals-everyone), lightweight, definitely super blendable, and gives a realistic flawless finish.
3. Make Up For EVer HD Microfinish Powder ($30). This colorless extremely fine powder does just what it says, it finishes your look. I put this on very last to leave a soft almost matte finish to the skin. It's an extra step, but so worth it.
4. Nars Powder Blush ($26). This blush is also a yearly winner and never lets me down. It's pigments are perfect and never leaves streaks or disappoints in the color category range. These blushes are plain perfect and work for every skin type.
5. Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler ($19) & Lancome Bifacil Eyemakeup Remover ($26)-Not Pictured. I forgot to add these two staples to the picture, but I personally use these products everyday of my life. The curler goes without saying as being the best ever created and the eyemakeup remover takes off the hardest waterproof mascara without being the slight bit greasy.
6. MAC Pro Longwear Lipcolor ($21). If I HAD to choose a longwearing lip color that stays decently it would be this one. It's not perfect, and tends to get a bit dry in my opinion, but does stay on for a dang long time. Just be sure to keep the product on hand throughout the day because you'll need to constantly reapply the clear gloss to keep it feeling moist enough.
7. L'Oreal Feria Haircolor ($10)- Not pictured because I already used the box. I've been using Feria for a loooong time (been coloring my hair myself for at least 12 years) and this is always the at home kit I go back too. I use color 40-Espresso because it's almost black, but not quite, with a rich, well espresso bean like brown! You can see this color in all it's glory on my head below with my sweet almost 2 year old Walker. (Although this pic was after sweating my you know what off in the sun at a strawberry farm on a field trip for my son's school. Not the most glamorous head shot, but at least I had on sunglasses and a cute child to distract from my rugged appearance! )
8. Moroccan Oil Treatment ($39). I use a few drops of this oil on my damp hair everytime I get out of the shower from washing my hair before I blow dry. It's sooo nourishing and weightless and gives my hair a lovely texture. Big fan of this stuff, just check out an older blog I did on it.
9. Cetaphil UVA/UVB Defense Daily moisturizer with SPF 50 ($14). You get blockage from both types of rays (yes should block both UVA & UVB if you didn't realize that) and a huge shield from the sun with the 50 rank. It's also non-greasy, so much so that even my hubby will wear it during the day because it soaks in quickly.
10. St. Tropez Body Self Tanner ($30). I have the mousse version of their self tanner and it's the bomb. I did a blog on it not too long ago and was extremely impressed. I'm sure the lotion version is just as good and not smelly at all like the cheaper versions.
Not So Deserving of "BEST":
1. Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof Mascara ($5). As much as I do like this cheapo brand of waterproof mascara, I also believe there are a couple better drugstore formulas out there. I'd put Cover Girl Lash Blast ($8) in the waterproof formula right above this one.
2. Dove Deep Moisture Body Wash ($4). I think I bought this brand of body wash 5 months ago after reading that it moisturizes so well (in Allure magazine though) that you don't even need lotion after getting out of the bath/shower. I think that's bologna. This stuff doesn't hydrate any better than my Ivory soap in the shower. I will keep searching for the best body wash because this ain't it in my opinion.
So there's my two cents if you wanted it!And if you've read this issue and heard of the following product-or had a personal experience with it- please tell me if it's worth the $450 price tag!! Yes, their vote for best flatiron for hair is the FHI Heat Runway Ceramic. I cannot fathom paying 450 big ones for a hot piece of styling tool unless it also came with a foot massage and made my breakfast too.