June symbolizes the official beginning of summer. I like to think of the first day of the month as a brand new start to something wonderful. Just like every Monday should feel for the upcoming week, but sadly Mondays get a bad rap and people tend to think of it as the toughest day of week.
But since today, June 1st, happens to be both – Monday and a fresh new month – let’s spin that idea on its head and think positive about this Monday! The above quote really hit me as I tend to get a bit bogged down with thoughts of,
- “I’m not doing enough (business, blogging, family wise, you name it)”,
- “I don’t know where to start”,
- “I don’t have enough of _____ (fill in the blank),” and on and on. You know where I’m going.
So I’m going to set a few goals, simple ones of course, for the month of June. What is a goal? A dream with a deadline. If I don’t give myself deadlines, they won’t happen, very simple. Goals this month that will make me happy and fulfilled. Isn’t that how life should feel anyway?
1. Treat myself to a pair of flower printed happy heels. Budget friendly of course. Check! Already done! These floral printed D’Orsay Charlotte Russe ones, $32, will go with a plethora of things in my closet and make the simplest of white tees and distressed denim super fancy. A girl can accomplish anything in killer heels right??
2. Workout and move 4-5 days a week. My husband and I have been doing the at home fitness program P90X3 for the past month and I must say, I’ve never felt better, or more sore!! It’s only a 30 minute a day commitment and we are doing it together and holding each other accountable. Gotta get rid of that belly goo because it’s swimsuit season!! Not to mention, we both can tell a difference in our energy levels. And with 3 kids, you gotta be able to keep up.
3. Choose Gratitude. Perspective is everything. Like I mentioned above, there are many times a day things creep into my head like, “I really wish I had new furniture, or wish we could go an an extravagant vacation like so and so is doing this summer, or there’s not enough time in the day for me to get everything done.” But instead of wishing for something that I don’t have, I need to remind myself what I am grateful for that I DO HAVE. My healthy children who are bright and sweet to the core, my husband who makes my life and ability to love as a mom and wife so easy, and I just bought the most awesome cheap lip gloss that makes me look beautiful! That brings me to #4…
4. Get a new summer lip product that makes it easier to smile. I am officially obsessed with the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams and their Intense Butter Glosses – both under $6. I choose to wear brighter bolder lips in the summer bc I like to wear less eye makeup when I can bc it tends to sweat off in the summer heat. I am going to buy a few more colors for this summer because they’re cheap and guilt free. I want to get a super bright color like “Funnel Delight” (bright glossy fuchsia pink) and “Morocco” (bold matte orange).
5. Check my email at certain times of day and give it my full attention. I read this goal from an article I found on Refinery29.com on “15 simple moves that will change your career.” It is an awesome list. I find that I check my email waaaay to much during the day bc my iPhone is attached to me. If I see an email from a potential client or blogging opportunity I want to get to it right away and sometimes that isn’t possible being a mom with 3 children home for the summer. It gives me slight anxiety to see the emails build up really. But if I can know that I’ve carved out specific times of day to do this, I might be able to be more productive.
6. Make up my bed everyday. Seems simple, but not for a messy Bessy like myself who struggles with keeping my house tidy. I’ve read (and heard) multiple places that if you can get in this habit, it’s a great start to your day. One way I was inspired to make my bed everyday was after listening to this epic podcast from Tim Ferriss. He interviewed Noah Kagan (who was the #30 employee at Facebook) and in this episode, they delve into a myriad amount of life and productivity hacks. Tim and Noah both make their beds everyday! They have a good reason. It’s a quick sense of accomplishment and helps to get your day started off on the right foot.
Oh Hi June! Let’s do this.
Do you have any goals for this month? I’d love to hear them!