I have tried every lip color in the rainbow. Ok, not yellow yet, because I just don’t think that will work for me and my teeth! But the one I have tried a few times in the past and failed at pulling off, is the color purple. And with fall officially being here this week, it’s time to bring out the darker lips and I think purple fits the cooler temps to a T!
So I finally found the right balance of makeup to wear with this shade and I have also found the most perfect purple – MAC “Violetta” lipstick, $16. It’s not too sheer, not too too dark, and is just the most fun amplified bright violet purple!
Here are my do’s and don’ts of pulling off a purple pout :
- DO exfoliate and have clean moisturized lips. Nothing looks yuckier than a dark lip product on flaky dry lips.
- DO apply a light sheer coat of your foundation or concealer over your lips to create an even canvas before painting on the purple.
- DON’T swipe on straight from the bullet. Use a lip brush, my fave covered MAC brush here, to get a more precise application. Start first with a crisp outline of the lips then filling in the center. Blot with a kleenex, then apply a second coat for better staying power.
- DON’T go overboard with the rest of your makeup. Your lips are taking center stage so don’t upstage them with dark eye makeup. I stuck with a warm bronzed eye with shadows on just the upper lid, lots of mascara, and a plum based blush to stick with the purple theme. I used Nars “Mata Hari,” blush in this look.
- DO make bronzer your friend. If you have super pale skin, your look is just going to turn out super goth, ghostly, and harsh. Unless that is of course the look you are going for!! Use a little liquid bronzer mixed in with your foundation or swipe some powder bronzer around your hairline and across your cheekbones to warm up your skin.
What got me inspired about trying the whole purple lipstick look again? My Forever 21 statement necklace with the purple stones here, $20. This inexpensive necklace has been worn on repeat because of all the colors included in it that seems to go with tons in my closet. From the yellow, to the clear stones, and even the blue that reminds me of denim, it’s a great piece. If you haven’t ever looked around the Forever 21 website for cool (cheap!) jewelry, you should.
(My striped shirt is Velvet here. Remember this post I wore it here in a totally different way??)
Would you try purple lips this fall?