The unexpected beauty of maroon eye makeup.
One of the most epic makeup looks of the very first awards show of the year, The Golden Globes, had to go to Olivia Wilde’s surprising use of maroon eye shadow. I’m calling this the best way to heat up your look for Valentine’s Day!
I saw tons of red lips on the red carpet, which always looks great don’t get me wrong, but Olivia’s out of the box eye makeup look created by artist Jo Baker was a showstopper on the new mom. And no, I did not notice any other female celebrity with the same look, which is always a ‘Do when you stand out!
I created a slightly “toned down” version of Mrs. Sudakis maroon eye makeup for us normal gals!
Now shadows in this category can be tricky and the maroon-burgundy shades if they go too pink can make you look sickly, almost pink-eye-ish. But when at just the right hue, think a base of red-brown-purple, can look awesome and smoldering! And guess what, since the general rule of thumb for picking shadows is to wear a color OPPOSITE of your natural eye color, everyone can wear maroon!! Unless you have maroon eyes:)
Here are some photos and product recs below of this look I created...
Shop the products I used to create this look :
Eye Shadow : Pacifica Beauty Power Of Love Palette (maroon shadow used) // Shimmer : Bare Minerals Glimmer Shadow “nude beach” // Brows : Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz “Soft Brunette” // Eyeliner : Pacifica Beauty “Jet Black” // L’Oreal Voluminous mascara // Skin : Garnier BB Cream “light/medium” // Cheeks : Cover Girl Cheekers “soft sable” // Lips : NYX Glam gloss in “the last party”
Tips for recreating this maroon goddess look :
- Don’t try for perfect brows. Fill them in if they need to be but don’t strive for a structured shape, keep them a bit natural.
- Make the smoldering eye makeup messy. I started by lining my entire eye with a black eyeliner along the inner waterline and then adding my maroon shade from the Pacifica palette on top of the liner to smudge it a little and make it soft.
- Add some champagne shimmer along the inner tear duct on top of your maroon shadow.
- Keep skin sheer. That’s why I used my favorite drugstore BB cream!
- Finish with light pink lips and soft cheeks as the perfect compliment to a strong eye.
Whose makeup stood out the most to you at the Golden Globes?