Wow. It’s been a tooouuugh 2020 spring and summer y’all. I’m sure at least 99% of us can agree on that.
I promise this isn’t going to be a blog post to bring you down though. I’m D.O.N.E. with consuming negative Nancy content (giving the Karen’s of the world a break ;). I will never understand why the news outlets only want to focus on the negative side of everything going on in the world.
Now more than ever, when we need to focus on and hear about the uplifting stories. I know they’re out there!
We still have quite a bit of summer left, especially down here in Georgia where I am. So this post is focusing on how to enjoy the rest of your summer with the help of some items you could treat yourself to with zero guilt. Even though most of our summers may look different than normal this year, that doesn’t mean we can’t make the most of it.
It’s absolutely necessary to take care of ourselves on a daily basis during difficult times.
Whether that looks like painting your nails a fun new color, buying yourself a new pair of sneakers because you’re taking more walks outside, or just taking time to actually DO your makeup + hair…it all matters. Pandemic or no pandemic!!
Below I’m going to be sharing some items that I’ve been loving during this shutdown summer. Maybe one or two of these things will spark some ideas on how to brighten your own summer spirits!
(1) A HANDS FREE NECK FAN. It’s the summer product you never knew you needed! These things are a dream and make being outside in the heat more bearable. It’s great for anyone that is spending more time outdoors. Whether you use it while you work in your garden, are a school teacher having to stay outside for recess, or a mom watching her kid play sports, this neck fan works for all the things!
This one is bendable, lightweight, super quiet, has 6 speeds, and comes in a bunch of colors. It might not make you look super cool, but you’ll literally feel super cool, and that puts me in a good mood! Shop my $25 neck fan here.
(2) A FUN NAIL POLISH COLOR. If you’re not going to the nail salon just yet, but can’t handle looking at sad bare nails, then treat yourself to a new shade of polish…or two. Right now, I’m loving an opaque white like the OPI “Alpine Snow” which looks so crisp and clean!
But if you’re more of a color gal, the OPI “Big Apple Red” is a universal perfect shade of true red for most skin tones. I had polled my Instagram followers awhile back asking for their favorite red polish, and this one won by a landslide!! And the Essie “Mint Candy Apple” is the happiest pastel greenish-turqouise shade ever! Fingernails should feel fun.
If you need a great top coat, you can’t beat the CND Vinyl Luxe formula. Remember when I made my own DIY nail salon wall on this YouTube video here? That’d be an easy and useful project to get into before the fall.
(3) A PRINTED KIMONO CARDIGAN. The great thing about these kimono like cardigans, is that they can be worn over a swimsuit (which we can wear here in Georgia until sometimes October) OR you can wear them with a tank and shorts (like I have on above).
There’s so many cute ones out there. And when you walk, they flow behind you like a cape and make quite an entrance. Which makes me feel like a superhero mom 😉 Here’s my $16 palm print one that comes in many other patterns too.
(4) A TIE DYE KIT. Ladies, tie dye is BACK and I’m here for the look. Yes this trend comes and goes, but right now, my kids and I both wear it and it makes me so happy. What makes wearing the trend even more exciting, is when you make the items yourself. (Working on the hubby, but he’s not taking the bait yet…Ha!)
We created our own tie dye tees, tanks, and even pillow cases with the Tulip Tie Dye kit, $32. The combination you can make of colors are endless, and there’s a shade for everyone. I scoured Pinterest (are you following me there yet?) and found all sorts of inspo for combinations. Here’s a similar tank like I used for only $8.
(5) A GRATITUDE JOURNAL. Okay so this one doesn’t exactly fit into the beauty or fashion category, but I would consider it a lifestyle item! I try to be a glass-half-full kind of gal as often as possible. So when times get tough, it always makes me feel better to focus on the positive rather than the negative. They both take the same amount of effort, so why not choose the positive??
A simple way to start your day on the right foot is to write down at least 3 things you’re grateful for in that moment. But of course, you’re not limited to just 3 – the more the better!
There’s a bunch of gratitude journals out there to choose from. And even though this practice would work even if you used a plain old notebook to jot down your joys, a cute 52 week one like this makes it even more enjoyable. And don’t forget about the kids! They’re dealing with repercussions from this pandemic just like adults. Keep their spirits high and emotions in check with their own joy journal too!
(6) A YOUTH PRESERVING TONER. If you’ve become obsessed with your skincare routine during quarantine like I have, then incorporating a killer skin toner is something you need to be using. Good skin = a good mood. I have two I switch out weekly with. One is this watermelon pore tightening toner by Glow Tonic. It has a jelly like consistency and smells divine, just like a juicy summer watermelon!
It’s also important to be using retinol when you’re wanting smoother skin and less wrinkles. I’m a big Pixi Beauty fan because of their budget friendly price point along with being super effective. Their newest retinol tonic is a good one. I use both of these products along with cotton rounds and apply right after face cleansing at night. If you use these consistently for a couple weeks, no doubt you’ll come out of quarantine looking younger!
(7) A Virtual Makeup Lesson with Me! Yep, I’m still going strong with my offering of virtual one on one makeup teaching sessions! These have brought me so much happiness that I have been able to continuing offering my makeup services to women, even if they can’t physically be in my studio due to social distancing practices.
I wrote an article for Medium.com about how I turned the negative of this shutdown, into a positive for my small business. I explain how it actually helped me to GROW my business by offering this new service. See, it is absolutely possible to find the positive in dreary times 🙂 If you’d like to read more on my virtual sessions, just read this blog post which lists out package prices and details on what I can offer you.
What ways are you keeping your spirits up this summer? I’d love to hear them.
*This post contains some affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission should you make a purchase from them but it will not change your price. Thanks in advance for supporting my blog in this way!*