There are certain makeup products that I just CAN NOT LIVE WITHOUT. Yes, that sounds dramatic, but it’s a true statement!
Today’s post is focusing on JUST those products that I use to achieve a more natural makeup look. But don’t get the “natural” word confused. It’s one that still shows up on photos taken with friends (or my kids & hubby!) and doesn’t leave me looking washed out!!
It’s the biggest complaint I hear from clients – “I thought I put on enough makeup, but, when I saw a picture of myself, I looked dead – like I had on no makeup at all!”
We’ve all been there…am I right?
Most of my “can’t live without” makeup products are the ones that I know I can throw on in a hurry, still look super put together and fresh-faced, BUT that don’t take too much skill or time spent on my makeup.
Being that I am now 44, a working makeup artist for over 20+ years, and I wear makeup every.single.day, I have definitely tried my fair share of products on the market!! And with aging up, my needs and wants for certain products/ looks have changed from what worked in my 20’s and 30’s.
The biggest key for looking good in photos, is to apply enough COLOR. Not necessarily heavier makeup, just inject enough color into your eyes, cheeks, and of course lips.
This post is created in hopes that if you’re just tired/bored of your current makeup routine, this list may give you some ideas to jump-start trying something new for yourself! I get most of my very favorite makeup products from trying something a trusted friend has recommended to me – and so that’s how I want you to feel about this post!
Without further ado, here is my list of the personal products I wear on myself when I want to look polished, not overdone.
Shop the SKIN PRODUCTS
(1) Skin prep is most important. I brighten + cleanse with this magical Vitamin C micellar water then add lots of skin plumping moisture with this gel to cream potion!
(2) Next, I fix + fill in the framework of the face – my brows – with this easy-to-use product that has your brow tool built in! (I’m 3.75 medium shade)
(4) I don’t walk out of the house without applying concealer and this powerhouse formula does not crease or settle in my fine lines! (I’m shade 250 bisque warm)
Shop the EYE PRODUCTS
(5) Two of my go-to neutral shadow palettes are this $10 drugstore one and this prestige one (that I’m on my 2nd one of!)
(7) Eyeliner is a must to make eyes pop and give the illusion of a thicker lash line. This silky eye pencil is my fave (black-cocoa and matte mulberry are easy-to-wear colors for all eye shades).
Shop the CHEEKS + LIPS
(8) A cheek trio is the way to go so that you have your blush/bronzer/and highlighter in one spot! Y’all know I can’t live without this anti-aging 3 piece palette. (watch exactly how I use it here on YouTube shorts)
(9) A hydrating glossy lip color gives a most youthful appearance to the lips. I reach for the Buxom plumping glosses (Dolly + Sandy and are go-tos) and the NYX Butter Gloss for a less $ option (Bit of Honey and Praline are good neutrals that give just enough color – wearing Bit of Honey in these photos).
(10) Honorable mention * If you like to cut down shine in the center of the face and set all of your makeup – try this talc free version of my most trusted blurring loose powder.
P.S. If you like my top, it’s this $14 one. I get compliments on it all the time!
** Photography by Jess of FiveFourteen Photography on Instagram taken for my new role as Beauty Contributor over on Style At A Certain Age Blog for my dear friend and mega lifestyle influencer Beth Djalali. Be sure to go check out my Beauty Posts over there!**