Have you ever taken an exercise class where you thought your muscles were burning so bad they might actually catch on fire after the first 5 minutes – and you’re not even holding a single weight (yet) or running….that’s the Pure Barre experience.
I was recently given the chance to try a Pure Barre class here in Athens, Ga for free. I knew I had to take the opportunity after all of the amazing things I had heard about it being THE hot new thing in fitness. The fact that it is rooted in ballet, which I used to be really good at (you do use an actual ballet barre for half the class), I thought it would be fairly easy. I also work out at a gym about twice a week, which I thought meant I was in pretty decent shape. Boy, was I wrong on both levels.
Here are some photos of the Athens studio and all it has to offer plus my personal experience at the bottom of the photos.
- Pure Barre is a workout that hits every single muscle in your body and is like a fusion of ballet, pilates, and strength training. Detailed description of their technique used HERE.
- I had no idea that doing a class that consisted of teeny tiny movements (like inches) and lots of “tucking” would make my muscles shiver and quake like never before. I found myself actually wincing, a lot!
- The class was non stop, meaning you don’t take breaks, so you get your monies worth in those 55 minutes.
- The music was lively and loud – which I LOVE. I cannot workout effectively without energetic music – it mentally helps me to keep moving. Which is why I struggle with lower key workouts like yoga and pilates. I need some pep in my step and music motivates me.
- The instructor Mary Frances (shown above with me at the barre on the floor) was very encouraging and hands on showing me how I needed to fix my poses to get the best results. Which I felt she was fixing me about every 8 minutes bc I was a hot mess!!
- Even though it’s a group class, luckily no one was starting at me or noticed how confused and struggling I was (or how often the instructor was beside me) because everyone else is so focused on just surviving this class they don’t have time to look at you!
- This studio offers some beautiful high end workout clothing brands you can’t find anywhere else in Athens, plus they carry my FAVE candle line Votivo (Red Currant-best.scent.ever), and really cute hair tie accessories!
I appreciated the constant help from Mary Frances because you know what, I am sore on every inch of my body today…every inch. If she had let me go it alone, I probably wouldn’t feel the burn where I needed to! Where I’m most impressed that I’m the sorest – my muffin top tummy area and the sides of my butt. Those are two areas where I can almost never seem to find the right workout for and struggle to make tighter. The fact I’m feeling the heat in those places today, means I can actually work those hard to focus areas.
The Athens location and staff was super warm and welcoming which I was thankful for since they are a boutique-type studio which can be slightly intimidating. Connie the owner, is definitely passionate about her business and you can see that because the class before me (which she is also an instructor) and the one I was in, was packed with Pure Barre devotes! You can follow the Athens crew on Facebook and check out their class schedules here.
Even though I am paying for a gym membership right now, I am going to find a way to get back into some of these classes because I have no doubt they would change my body for the better. Once I get over how amazingly sore I am today however…wink wink:) If you live in or around the Athens area, be sure to stop by their location this Sunday March 30th for a Sip & Shop date to benefit 2 awesome organizations here in town – Extra Special People and Project Safe!
Thanks again to the Pure Barre Athens staff for having me and I hope to get back in there soon!
Have you had a Pure Barre experience?