Everybody makes mistakes. And the great thing about mistakes, they can be flipped into a positive learning experience!
My sweet Vivian can give the ultimate sad face like in this pic from last weekend. She hadn’t made any mistake, she was just tired and didn’t want to smile for the camera anymore. Not unusual for a child of a blogging mom who loves loves taking pictures of all of her kids! This face is basically saying “enough with the camera mom.”
So speaking of sad faces, I get one when it comes to the following 5 MAKEUP MISTAKES. Here are my biggest offenders and how to correct them…
1. Applying makeup to dry, flaky, or skin that hasn’t been cared for. Yes makeup is a miracle worker, but it can only perform at it’s best if it’s applied to skin that has been taken care of. That means you must wash your face every night – even if you just wear a powder and chapstick, you still need to wash the outside environments off of your face before you hit the pillow. Exfoliating is great for that flaky skin, and try it at least once or twice a week until you see what your skin can handle. A smooth canvas makes for a better painting. *Product suggestion – My Clarisonic Mia cleansing system, $99, has saved my skin and is actually fun to use! It’s a gentle exfoliator and cleanser at the same time.*
2. Wearing too much orange bronzer. I know it’s summer and if you weren’t blessed with a warm golden skin tone, then you might be guilty of applying too much bronzer. For some reason, lots of bronzers out there are too orange in their base which is a total giveaway you’re wearing bronzer, which is never a good thing. So when picking a bronzer, I like mosaics because of the multiple shades included (instead of one flat color) which seems more realistic when applied. And instead applying bronzer just in the center tzone of the face which is super obvious, try applying around the perimeter of your face and along the hair line to get that glow from the outside in and it’s slimming to the face. *Product suggestion – Guerlain Terracotta Bronzer, $53, gets awards all the time for being the most realistic looking and is a cult classic. If you prefer a liquid formula to add to your moisturizer or foundation or bb cream, y’all know my all time fave is this LORAC Tantalizer Body Bronzer (you can use on your face too).*
3. Concealer that is too light. Most women think that they need to conceal those dark circles by applying a super light concealer. Wrong. If you go too too light with your color choice, you almost put a spotlight on those circles with an ashy cast and are back to square one. When choosing a concealer color, most of us can benefit from one with a peach or yellow undertone. Then setting that concealer with a powder that is one shade lighter than your skin tone on top, is an added benefit to tone down the lightness. *Product suggestion – Benefit’s Erase Paste, $26, comes in three shades, and all of them have a peach base and it’s super creamy so it gives major coverage.*
4. Ignoring your eyebrows. Eyebrows are the frame of the face and some women tend to ignore them totally. This can mean a couple of ways – either you’re not filling them in when they’re too light and not even noticeable, they haven’t been plucked in years and are taking over your face, or, they’ve been over plucked and are not too thin which can be aging. So if they’re too light or too thin, fill them in with a pencil or colored wax to give them some love. If they’re too bushy, keep them full, but manicure them by plucking or getting them professionally threaded (a better option than waxing). *Product suggestion – All of my favorite brow pencils for every budget plus how to fill them in, I talked about in this awesome post.*
5. Not wearing mascara. So you’re not good at applying eyeshadow or eyeliner scares you. Okay, don’t worry with it then, no biggie. But please do your peepers a favor and decorate them with two coats of mascara, PLEASE!! Upper and lower lashes! Mascara easily highlights the eyes and looks so pretty and feminine. *Product suggestion – my favorite mascaras are drugstore- L’Oreal Voluminous False Fibers Lashes , $8.99 and CoverGirl LashBlast Volume, $8.99*
Shop My Solutions :
Now that you’ve got some solutions for your makeup mistakes, Vivian has decided she’d like to offer up a smile.