(Post updated May 2020) Most days I want full on ultra-pigmented-opaque colored lips OR glossy lips with high lacquered shine. That’s just the makeup lover in me and wanting to feel extra on most occasions.
But then, there are actually those days and occasions when there’s nothing better than just a barely there lip look, which calls for a tinted/colored lip balm. My lips have very little natural color to them and fade into my face when I have on nothing so I always have to have SOMETHING on my lips. Which is why having a few great tinted lip balms in my makeup bag is a must.
And with summer here, a sheer hydrated lip with a bit of color works beautifully paired with bikinis, sundresses and tank tops!! It’s the best non-fussy look to wear a tinted lip with sun-kissed skin and just mascara.
Needless to say, the best tinted lip balm serves up the best of both worlds – hydration and great color…but not too much 🙂
There are quite a few of these out there right now and lots of them have really evolved since our Bonne Bell Lip Smacker days. (although, I STILL do love the Dr. Pepper lip smacker for it’s smell and ever so slight ruby tint!) I’ve tried out lots of tinted lip balms and also gotten recommendations from girlfriends (one of my best beauty sources) on which ones are worthy of the change in your wallet.
Read on for the 5 lip balms that give just enough color while also keeping your lips silky smooth, that you’ll want to keep in your purses, gym and beach bags ALL summer!
- Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm, $5. This has been a color that I’ve been OBsessed with. I searched forever to find the Red Dahlia shade because I kept reading on blogs that it was the perfect dull red tint for lips. And it is, although I say it goes almost more red mauve on me (as you can see in the two above pics). And talk about hydration, it gives the softest lips because it’s made with shea butter and botanical wax, but not too shiny. Comes in 6 other very wearable shades if this one isn’t for you. And at $5, you can afford to try a few color options!
- Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment, $24. A lot pricier than the Burt’s Bees but let me tell you, these Fresh Sugar balms are glorious and totally worth the price tag IMO. And they include an SPF 15 which is SO necessary to protect our delicate lips from the sun – it’s one of those places people forget to protect from sun damage! Made with black current seed and grape seed oils, this balm is so nourishing, you’ll want to reapply and reapply! They have 15 color choices so there’s something for everyone. I have owned sugar berry (deep berry shade on), the sugar rose tinted (which is really soft and sheer pink), and the sugar coral (very bright colorful coral but sheer at same time!).
- It Cosmetics Je Ne Sais Quoi Lip Treatment, $24. These honestly feel pretty identical to the Fresh Sugar ones except the 3 color choices are much more subtle and provide a flush of color. I’m smitten with the “Honey” shade because it literally looks like natural lips but a notch up of warm nude color. What I really like is the tube because it has a magnetic like closure so I dig the snap shut of it 😉 These feature a proprietary Vitality Lip Flush Technology™ that reacts with the warmth of your lips to create a gorgeously natural customized pop of color.
- Revlon Kiss Cushion Lip Tint, $10. These provide a bit more color than most of the ones listed above, but you can layer to get more bang with your color or you can just swipe on once to get a hint of the color! I love the foam rounded sponge tip applicator, it just feels cushiony going on! These provide the look of a stained lip but feels like a balm and includes coconut oil to help nourish and keep away dryness.
- Nars Afterglow Lip Balm, $28. The most expensive out of the bunch but my friend told me I HAD to try it so it’s currently on my must have list on my next Ulta run. I trust her opinion about things like this (thanks Annie for adding to my makeup problem!) and can’t wait to try it because it mimics the iconic Orgasm shade, which is a peachy pink with a hint of gold pearl. It’s my favorite blush in the whole wide world so I have no doubt the easy to wear lip balm will be equally as wonderful! Here’s a peek at what it looks like on the Nars Insta post.
Speaking of summer looks, be sure to check out my favorite bronzer post here . And if you need a good waterproof mascara, (you know I love the drugstore priced ones) might I suggest this Covergirl LashBlast Volume in waterproof version I use on most of my brides. Becuase we all know brides CRY! Ha ha!
Okay now what is your favorite tinted lip balm? Have you tried any of the above before?