Taking years off of our faces isn’t only achieved with good skincare, genes, or even botox! Nope, there’s this little magical thing called MAKEUP that every single one of us can easily use to shave a couple years off the ole face!
I just celebrated my 43rd birthday at the end of January.
Now that I’m a few years past the big 4-0, I find I don’t dread getting older as much as I used to when I was a 20-something worried about turning 30…or heaven forbid 40!! I honestly can say that I am just trying to live my life to the fullest. And this comes with not placing too much emphasis on my exact age. If I look and feel good, who cares what the numbers say right?!
Of course, being a makeup artist and beauty blogger, I would never deny the fact that I’m constantly on the quest for the next mascara, skin cream, or lip color that is going to give me the look of eternal youth. Or make me look like Jennifer Lopez…Ha ha!!
To clarify – my goal is not to age backward. Because, well, that would be really difficult and probably verrrry expensive and invasive (hello face lift?!). But I do want to hold off gravity and slow down the natural aging process as much as possible.
Lately in my career, I have been working with many women over 40 – especially now through my virtual makeup lesson offerings. And I find that most of these 40+ clients have one goal in common. They just want to look like a better (more youthful) version of their natural selves without having to put too much time into their makeup routine. The good news is, that it is possible by implementing one, two, or even three of these new youthful makeup tips into your old routine.
In this post, I am going to share with you 5 ANTI-AGING TIPS that can be achieved right from the contents of your makeup bag!
- Focus on Dewy + Colorful Cheeks
- Avoid Wearing Dark Eyemakeup Underneath (do this instead!)
- Vitamin C Should Be Your Skin BFF
- Plump Up That Lash Line (here’s how)
- Say NO To Matte, Nude Lips
But don’t worry if you don’t already have some of the products I mention. Consider this post a “beauty checklist” as to what to purchase during your next online makeup order 😉 Links included of course.
Keep reading to see how you can switch up your makeup game to help you look as young as you feel! I’ve included some new YouTube videos as well for you to watch and learn.
- FOCUS ON DEWY + COLORFUL CHEEKS. Don’t be scared of OR forget your blush – PLEASE! It’s the best complexion enhancer! And if you’re like most over 40 women, your skin is starting to dry out a bit. That means a cream blush might be in your future to give you a healthy vibrant flushed cheek…instead of an old powdery blush that gives an even drier appearance! Watch the video below to see exactly how to combine the two for your best cheeks.
Products Used In This Video :
Did I mention that as we age, we also lose a lot of natural healthy color that drains from our face?? Sad but true – it’s because our blood circulation slows down. But thank goodness there’s blush to put that color back in! I am loving the combo of this Morphe tinted cheek mousse and stick highlighter to give me just the right amount of glow.
2. AVOID WEARING DARK UNDEREYE MAKEUP. This is one of the hardest things for those women that are still stuck on wearing heavy eyeliner on their lower lash line a la the 1980’s and 90’s.
Want to know how to quickly keep your under-eyes from looking like they haven’t endured the strain of motherhood, stress of a demanding job, or just life in general?? QUIT wearing really dark eyeshadow or eyeliner (no black!!) on your lower lash line because it’s dragging down your eye-bed and drawing attention to your dark circles!
Products wearing in this photo :
Instead do the exact opposite, and swipe a peach or nude colored liner inside your lower waterline to brighten whites of eyes and just add one coat of mascara to the lashes and you’re done! Simpler is better and more youthful. I love the Maybelline Lash Discovery tiny wand mascara for getting those hard to reach lashes – waterproof of course so it doesn’t smudge!
3. Vitamin C Products Can Be Your Skin BFF. If you haven’t heard of or experienced the Pixi Beauty Vitamin C Skin Brightener, $18, let me be the first to introduce you! I’m a happy gal when I find skin products that benefit your skin while also acting like makeup! I received this product in a PR gift from Pixi (yes a perk of my job that I’m always grateful for) and was blown away after the first use!
This vitamin C infused complexion enhancer blurs and perfects to give your skin a dewy, radiant finish while also hydrating it for a healthy look. You can use it as a skin primer and apply a coin size amount all over face prior to applying your foundation or powder makeup.
But you’d also be amazed how it can be used SOLO and give you a natural fresh faced look – just like in the above pic of me.
I’m wearing zero foundation – just this skin brightener, and I’d say my skin looks pretty darn good and not overdone. You can watch my PR unboxing video of these Vitamin C products below to see my thoughts on the other products they sent.
Products mentioned in the video :
4. Plump Up That Lash Line. If you’re noticing your lash line becoming sparser with age, you’re not alone. It’s a fact of life that those hairs get thinner and lesser over the years. And with the rising trend of lash extensions, you know that we are all wanting the fountain of youth that comes with an obviously fuller lash line.
But if you’re like me, and don’t want the expensive and timely upkeep that comes with lash extensions (and long-term damage), you have a couple of options…
OPTION A. You could first try the easy way, and that is to add an eyelash primer to your normal mascara routine. It is an extra but simple step to getting your everyday mascara to perform even better and with a bolder lash outcome. My personal cheap fave is this popular one by L’Oreal.
I did a YouTube comparison video of lash primer against this everyday household product you probably have in your pantry, to see which could thicken your lashes best. You can watch it here to see if it’s a cheap DIY option or not…
OPTION B. If you’re feeling a little more adventurous than just lash primer, then here’s the next best option. If you’ve been having the itch for a while to try out wearing false lash strips but just don’t know where to start, I got you. What stops a lot of women from experimenting with false lash strips, is they’re not only intimidated by application, but they have no idea which style to pick that will look most realistic!
I created a video that is sharing the style by Ardell you should start with if you’re a lash newbie. Plus I include the exact steps on how I apply them.
Shop the lash products mentioned:
5. GIVE YOUR LIPS COLOR + SHINE. Choosing the right lip color – it’s one of the hardest things for women to land on! As we get older, our lips do tend to lose fullness and their natural color. So even though very matte and nudes can be trendy, they might not be the most youthful lip look to choose and could actually age you.
Try to find a balance by picking a color that is a few shades deeper (or brighter) than your natural lip tone plus with a bit of cream or shine to the formula. Shine reflects light, which gives the illusion of fuller lips! I’m wearing NYX Butter Gloss in “Angel Food Cake” here with Makeup Revolution lip liner in “White Wedding.”
I hope this post was super helpful and gave you some inspiration to go out there be your best self! Take a few minutes to do your makeup and you’ll feel like a million bucks.
*Affiliate links may be used throughout this post. That means that when you make a purchase using my links, you are helping support my blog here as I may make a small commission, and I sincerely appreciate you if you choose to do so.*